Jackson Coale Gott was born September 10, 1829 on the Coale family estate, Lake Roland, Baltimore County. He learned carpentry in his boyhood and later studied architecture in the offices of several prominent local architects. The Witheys’ “Dead Architects Dictionary” states he apprenticed with an unnamed carpenter and master builder while studying architecture under private tutors. After his apprenticeship, he worked in the building industry for several years. About 1863, Gott opened his architectural office, according to the Baltimore City Directory. He was elected an Associate of the AIA in 1871 and a Fellow in 1889.
Gott never married and lived at various hotels in Baltimore all his life. He had two sisters who lived at the Bristol Apartments at Eutaw and McMechen, neither of whom were married. Gott died at their apartment on July 8, 1909.