February 18 @ 5:30 pm – 7:00 pm
Church of the Redeemer, 5603 North Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21210
The AIA Baltimore Historic Resources Committee (HRC) and Baltimore Architecture Foundation (BAF) will celebrate the AIA and BAF relocation to the new Baltimore Center for Architecture and Design in the Mies van der Rohe designed One Charles Center building with a series of tours of historic Mid-Century Modern buildings in Baltimore.
The Church of the Redeemer was built in 1958 and designed by architect Pietro Belluschi in collaboration with RTKL. It is a mid-century modern, re-interpretive addition to the original 1856 church by R. Snowden Andrews (1830-1903). Its sophisticated design integrates original stone and like materials to create a modern spirituality of the time.
Peitro Belluschi (1899-1994) was born in Italy, and moved to Portland, Oregon in the 1920’s. His churches and residences reflected a Pacific Northwest vernacular of wood and stone, while his seminal commercial work was more modern in its materials vocabulary. We will tour the 1856 historic chapel, and the 1958 church and supporting administration wing and will view some of the original drawings and documentation of the Belluschi work.