June 7 – 13, 2020 | Registration required by December 31, 2019 | Co-organized by AIA Baltimore member and BAF board member Anthony Gill, AIA
This 6-night educational travel program opens doors to the world of contemporary architecture which gathers in Venice every other year. Bask in the juxtaposition of cutting-edge design and the rich history of the Veneto region, from its exotic Byzantine treasures to stately Palladian mansions to masterpiece by Carlo Scarpa, Renzo Piano and others.
Dates: 7-13 June 2020 (7 days and 6 nights )
Study Leader: Tom Rankin and chosen English-speaking experts in art and architecture.
Cost: From $4,800/person double-occupancy including 6 nights bed and breakfast; meals and other food (including wine), activities, and transport as described; tips; and airport transfers. Private room supplement US$ 1,000.
- Stay 4-nights in a carefully-crafted and meticulously-managed design hotel in central (but just off-the-beaten track) Venice.
- Enjoy 2 nights in central Verona, a perfect base from which to explore the villas and gardens of the Veneto regions
- See masterpieces by Carlo Scarpa, including his Brion Cemetery
- Pay your respects to Palladio with a visit to one or more of his country villas
- Spend two full days at the 17th International Architecture Exhibition at the Biennale di Venezia
- Attend special VIP events organized around the Biennale and different national pavilions
- Visit the studios and works of important living architects and learn from scholars studying the works of others
- Learn from — and contribute to — projects to defend and preserve Venice from climate change, tourism and other challenges
(Note: This event is not being organized or sponsored by AIA Baltimore or the Baltimore Architecture Foundation)