Tour of First and Franklin Presbyterian Church and Rectory
December 5th, 2010 :: 2:00pm
First & Franklin Presbyterian Church
210 West Madison Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
Please join us on December 5th for a FREE tour led by The Honorable James F. Schneider, long time First and Franklin Street parishioner and Baltimore historian. We’ll take a look at the recently completed interior restoration, and tour the adjacent Rectory building.
Designed in the Gothic Revival style by Norris G. Starkweather, of Philadelphia, the cost of construction was $150,000 in 1859 with an additional $33,000 for the steeple in 1874.
First and Franklin Presbyterian Church is Baltimore’s oldest Presbyterian congregation, dating to 1761. First Presbyterian evolved from it first simple log building, to a magnificent neoclassical style church known as the “Two Steeple Church” at Fayette and Guilford, completed in 1795, to its current High Gothic style church in what was then the “center of fashion”, where many church members lived. Ground for the current building was broken 1854, and the church was dedicated in 1859.
This tour is FREE to members of The BAF.